Information You Submit
Information We Collect
We collect information from you when you register on our site or fill out a form. When registering on our site, you may be asked to enter your: name, email address, mailing address or phone number. You may, however, visit our site anonymously. If you provide location information (like a ZIP/Postal code, street address, or even just a city) during the registration process or at any other time via your account settings, we will store that information and associate it with your account. We may also collect information such as year in school, anticipated enrollment date and institution, grade point average, standardized test scores and intended post-secondary major or program. We use that information to match you with specific majors, programs, colleges and universities to match your interests. We use analytics tools to collect some information about your use of the Site. We use the information we get to improve the Site and to help improve your experience. In order to collect this information, cookies may be set on your browser or mobile device, or read if they are already there.
The information we automatically collect includes:
- Cookies and other similar technologies. We may use various technologies to collect and store information when you visit our Service, including, clear GIFS (also known as “web beacons”), “tags”, “scripts”, and “cookies”. We use both session and persistent cookies. A session cookie disappears after you close your browser. A persistent cookie remains after you close your browser (although it can be removed) and may be used by your browser to identify you on subsequent visits to the Service. We may also use, collect and store information locally on your device using mechanisms such as browser web storage (including HTML 5). Like many services, SchooLinks uses these technologies to tailor the Service for you, and to help the Service work better for you - for example, by remembering language preferences.
- Device information: We collect device-specific information such as your operating system, hardware version, device settings, file and software names and types, battery and signal strength, and device identifiers. This helps us measure how the Service is performing, and improve SchooLinks for you on your particular device.
- Log information: Like most online services, when you use our Service, we automatically collect and store certain information in our server logs. Examples:
- Details of how you used our service, such as your activity on the Service, and the frequency and duration of your visits to the SchooLinks Website or affiliated mobile App
- Telephony log information like your phone number and SMS routing information
- IP addresses
- Device event information such as crashes, system activity, hardware settings, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and referral URL
- Location information: When teachers, counselors, school leaders and parents use our Service, we may collect and process information about your geographic location, for example through GPS or WiFi signals. We collect both coarse (i.e., city-level) location data and precise location data. If we collect precise geolocation information (“precise” meaning sufficient to identify street name and name of city or town) from you (such as when a teacher is searching for a school), we ask for your explicit opt-in permission. We do not collect precise geolocation data from students. We will not store or track your device location on an ongoing basis without your permission. We do not share precise geolocation data with third parties other than as necessary to provide the Service. If you no longer wish to allow us to track your location information, you may opt-out at any time by turning off your devices location services.
We do not combine this non-personal information with your personal information.
How We Use the Information Collected
SchooLinks does not sell or rent any of your, or your child's personal information to any third party for any purpose - including for advertising or marketing purposes. We use the information we collect from you to provide you with the best SchooLinks experience.
We may use the information we collect, including information which identifies or together with other information may identify (“Personal Information“) you in the following ways: 1) to improve our Site and your experience, for example through the optimization of layout for desktop and mobile devices pending on volume usages; 2) to provide technical support and assist in the development of Site components; 3) to ensure that the Site functions well and to develop new products and services; 4) to analyze how you use the Site.
- Other Users You Share and Communicate with on SchooLinks: No teacher, counselor, school leader, parent or student profiles are made available to the general public through our Service. If you are a teacher, counselor, school leader or parent, you may choose to share information or content through the Service with other SchooLinks teachers, counselors, school leaders or parents - for example, things like your account information or parents you are messaging through the SchooLinks Messaging Center, file upload or other collaboration features.
- Testimonials: We may post testimonials on our Service which may contain personal information such as the name, photo and/or video of the individual in the testimonial. We obtain the individual’s consent in advance to ensure we have permission to post this content publicly. To request removal of your personal information from our testimonials, please contact us at email@example.com.
- Analytics Services: We use analytics services, including mobile analytics software, to help us understand and improve how the Service is being used. These services may collect, store and use information in order to help us understand things like how often you use the Service, the events that occur within the application, usage, performance data, and from where the application was downloaded.
- Aggregated Information and Non-Identifying Information: We may share aggregated, non-personally identifiable information publicly, including with users, partners or the press in order to, for example, demonstrate how SchooLinks is used, spot industry trends, or to provide marketing materials for SchooLinks. Any aggregated information shared this way will not contain any personal information.
- In the unlikely event that SchooLinks goes out of business, or files for bankruptcy, we will protect your personal information, and will not sell it to any third party.
- With your consent: Other than the cases above, we won’t disclose your personal information for any purpose unless you consent to it. Additionally, as discussed above, we will never sell or rent your personal information to advertisers or other third parties.
Parental Consent and Children’s Privacy
We are in compliance with the requirements of COPPA (Children's Online Privacy Protection Act). We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. Children under 13 are unable to create their own SchooLinks user accounts. In order for a child under 13 to be able to create a SchooLinks account, consent must be provided by the child’s school or school district in accordance with the provisions of COPPA, FERPA and contractual language specified in contracts with SchooLinks’ partner schools and districts.
In accordance with the “direct control” provisions of the Federal Education Rights and Privacy Act (“FERPA”), SchooLinks’ partner schools and districts can provide consent for the disclosure of non-personally identifiable student information under the “school official” and “educational purposes” provisions language
For partner schools and districts, parents can access SchooLinks through parent accounts we create for them that are linked to their students’ accounts. Parental access includes the ability to view all student conversations that occur within the student Message Center. Parents do not have the ability to view any information for other students using the platform.
Students are able to upload a profile image for their account or other file formats when communicating with linked counselors or parents through the Message Center feature of the platform. Partner schools and districts are responsible for directly obtaining any necessary consent from parents or through applicable FERPA and COPPA provisions language that permit schools or districts to act as agents for consent purposes.
In addition to the information listed above, we automatically collect some information from any use of our Service as set forth in the “Information We Collect” section. We use this information to provide the Service to the child, for security and safety purposes, as required by law, or to enforce our Terms. We will not require children to provide more personal information than is reasonably necessary in order to participate in the Service. If we discover that we have collected information from a child in a manner inconsistent with COPPA, we will take appropriate steps to either delete the information, or immediately seek parental consent for that collection.
We do not disclose any personal information about children to third parties, except to service providers necessary to provide the Service, as required by law, or to protect the security of the Service or other users. Information collected from students (including personal information and information collected automatically) is never used or disclosed for third party advertising or for any first- or third-party behaviorally targeted advertising, and children’s personal information is never sold or rented to anyone, including marketers or advertisers.
Receiving Communications & Opt Out Policy
You can always decline to share personal information with us, or even block all cookies. However, it’s important to remember that many of SchooLinks’ features may not be accessible, or may not function properly without allowing cookies.
If you registered on SchooLinks, provided an email or phone number to us, or otherwise opted-in to receive communications from us, we may send you messages and updates regarding your account, including privacy and security notices, updates regarding the Service, and information regarding products, features or services from SchooLinks. These communications may include, but are not limited to, social media updates, SMS/MMS messages, push notifications, email, and postal mail. If you have an account with us, we’ll also use your email address to contact you for customer service purposes, or for any legal matters that arise in the course of business. We may receive a confirmation when you open an email from us if your device supports it. We use this confirmation to help us understand which emails are most interesting and helpful.
Occasionally, at our discretion, we may include or offer third party services on our website. These third party sites have separate and independent privacy policies. We therefore have no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of these linked sites. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of our site and welcome any feedback about these sites.
Specifically, you can log into SchooLinks using Google credentials and password by clicking the Google button on the login window. By using Google Connect, you are allowing SchooLinks to access some personally identifiable information in your Google account pursuant to Google’s Terms of Service. Google Connect will pre-populate your SchooLinks account during the signup process with information from your Google account. SchooLinks will also receive your Google ID number during this process. We use all of this information strictly in accordance with this Policy.
No student profile is made available or visible to the public through SchooLinks. Students can’t view each other’s individual student profiles. Students are also unable to share their profile with staff members of universities whom manage their own school profiles on SchooLinks. Once a student has reached the age of 18, s/he will be able to share her/his profile with staff members who manage their own school profiles on SchooLinks.
Parents will be able to view their own child’s profile, as well as any group communications between the child and linked staff members in the Message Center.
Accessing and Modifying Your Personal Information
SchooLinks aims to provide you with easy access to any personal information we have collected about you. If that information is incorrect, we give you easy ways to update it, or to delete it, unless we have to keep that information for legitimate business (e.g., we need at least an email address for your account) or legal purposes.
- Accessing Your Information: To access, correct or request that we make no further use of personal information you may have provided to us via this website, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon request, SchooLinks will provide you with information about whether we hold any of your personal information, and, if you are a user of SchooLinks, you may request access to all your personal information we have on file by contacting us at email@example.com. In some cases, we won’t be able to guarantee complete access due to legal restrictions - for example, you will not be allowed to access files that contain information about other users or information that is confidential to us. We may not be able to fulfill requests that are unreasonably repetitive, require disproportionate technical effort or would be extremely impractical.
- Updating Your Information: You may update, correct, or delete some of your profile information or your preferences at any time by logging into your account on SchooLinks and accessing your account settings page. You may have to verify your identity before you can do that. You may also, at any time, update, correct, or delete certain personal information that you have provided us by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. We will respond to your request within a reasonable timeframe. Please note that while your change may be reflected promptly in active content, users that have previously accessed that content may still have access to old copies cached on their device or may have copied and stored your content. In addition, we may retain a backup copy of the prior version for a limited period of time for legal purposes.
SchooLinks has implemented technical, administrative and physical security measures designed to secure your information. We utilize third party providers to store and process your personal information, and these providers have also implemented robust physical, electronic, contractual and managerial steps to safeguard and secure your personal information. This includes transmission of data via HTTPS and restrictions on access to the data. The Internet, however, is not perfectly secure and we are not responsible for security breaches not reasonably within its control.
Outages, attacks, human error, system failure, unauthorized use or other factors may compromise the security of user information at any time. If we learn of a security breach, we will attempt to notify you electronically (subject to any applicable laws) so that you can take appropriate protective steps; for example, we may post a notice on our homepage (www.schoolinks.com) or elsewhere on the Service, and may send email to you at the email address you have provided to us. Depending on where you live, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach in writing.
Your SchooLinks account is protected by a password. You can help us protect against unauthorized access to your account by keeping your password secret at all times.
The security of your personal information is important to us. We work hard to protect our community, and we maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect against unauthorized use, disclosure of or access to personal information. In particular:
- Our engineering team is dedicated to keeping your personal information secure
- We work with a team of security researchers to continually test SchooLinks’ security practices for vulnerabilities
- We periodically review our information collection, storage and processing practices, including physical security measures, to guard against unauthorized access to systems
- We continually develop and implement features to keep your personal information safe - for example, when you enter any information anywhere on the Service, we encrypt the transmission of that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL/TLS) by default
- We ensure passwords are stored and transferred securely using encryption
We may release personal information when we believe that doing so is appropriate to comply with a legitimate law, regulation, or legal request; to enforce or apply our policies; to initiate, render, bill, and collect for amounts owed to us; to protect our rights or property; to protect the safety of our users; to address fraud, security, or technical issues; or if we reasonably believe that an emergency involving immediate danger of death or serious physical injury to any person requires disclosure of communications or justifies disclosure of records without delay.