FIRE's Freedom in Academia Essay Contest
Scholarship Provided by : third party
January 01, 2016
- Go to FIRE's website at www.thefire.org and familiarize yourself with FIRE and FIRE's issues.
- Watch two short videos about real students who were censored and punished for speech that is protected by the U.S. Constitution.
- Watch some of FIRE's other videos, read FIRE's mission, and browse posts on The Torch to get a good sense of FIRE's goals and activities (recommended).
- Answer the Essay Question: Why is free speech important at our nation's colleges and universities? Using examples from both videos, discuss how these universities violated the featured students' rights and why these violations are incompatible with higher education. Your essay should be 800-1000 words.
- Submit your essay through the form on the provider's website
- Applicants who are high school juniors and seniors for the current school year are eligible to participate.