- Academic achievement/merit (transcripts).
- Two letters of recommendation (one from a current or former meteorology professor, and one from media personnel).
- A one page statement explaining why the applicant wants to be a broadcast meteorologist and their vision for the future.
- A DVD which includes two full on-camera weathercasts, with all graphics and show elements prepared by the applicant.
- Any undergraduate going into their sophomore year or higher in the fall. (Note, graduate students are not eligible for this scholarship) If the student is classified as a senior they must either have at least the upcoming fall semester to complete after the scholarship is awarded. While students are encourage to apply for multiple NWA scholarships, the NWA will not award a student multiple scholarships in any given academic year.