Provide grant funds to help pay tuition/fees for California residents at qualifying institutions
offering undergraduate academic programs of not less than two academic years.
• Awards are guaranteed for those who meet the program eligibility criteria.
• If a student receives a Cal Grant A award but decides to attend a California Community
College first, the student may choose to hold his or her award in reserve for up to two years.
The Commission may hold the award in reserve for an additional year.
General Cal Grant Eligibility Requirements:
All Cal Grant applicants must:
• Be California residents
• Be U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens
• Meet U.S. Selective Service requirements
• Attend an eligible California qualifying postsecondary institution
• Be enrolled at least half-time
• Maintain satisfactory academic progress as defined at school of attendance
• Have family income and assets below the established ceilings
• Not be in default on any student loan
• Not owe any federal or state grant refund