The Los Alamos Employees' Scholarship Fund (LAESF) includes scholarships for students seeking 4-year degrees upon high school graduation, awards for students returning to formal education who are seeking 2-year degrees or certifications after a hiatus for other pursuits, and awards for undergraduate students of Tribal communities seeking accounting, business administration, finance, or management information systems (MIS) degrees. Eligibility and awards are dependent upon the type of scholarship being sought and funds available.
4-Year Degree Scholarship Eligibility (LAESF Scholarships)
Any permanent resident of Northern New Mexico who is enrolling in or currently attending an accredited post-secondary educational institution is eligible to apply for one of the 4-Year Degree Scholarships. For the purpose of these scholarships, Northern New Mexico includes Los Alamos, Mora, Rio Arriba, San Miguel, Sandoval, Santa Fe, and Taos counties. A permanent resident of Northern New Mexico is defined as someone whose official residence has been established within these counties for 366 consecutive days.
Applications are now being accepted for 2016 LAESF Scholarships. Deadline is January 19, 2016.
LAESF Scholarship Awards
The number and value of scholarships awarded each year is determined by funds available.
• Gold: $5,000 per year for four years
Science or Other Studies
• Senator Pete Domenici Endowed Scholarship: $2,500 per year for four years (one for each of the seven Northern New Mexico counties)
• Silver: $2,500 per year for four years
• Bronze: $1,000 per year for up to four years
• John & Marti Browne Endowed Leadership: $2,500 per year for up to four years
• Susan Herrera: $2,500 per year for up to four years
Several named scholarships have been established over the years. These scholarships have been established to commemorate people with a strong interest in the education of Northern New Mexico students.
• Allan Johnston Memorial Scholarship: $1,000 for one year
• NNM American Society of Mechanical Engineers Scholarship:$1,000 for one year
• Philip P. Barker Memorial Scholarship: $1,000 for one year
• Rae Lee Siporin Award: $1,000 for one year
• Tim Martin Memorial Scholarship: $1,000 for one year (Mesa Vista High School applicants only)
• William & Gertrude Fradkin Memorial Scholarship:
$1,000 for one year
• Raymond M. Chavez Memorial Scholarship: for one year $2,500