This award was created in 1997 to honor the late Aurand Harris (1915-1996) for his lifetime dedication to all aspects of professional theatre for young audiences.
A panel of judges named by the NETC Executive Board will administer this award. Two cash prizes will be awarded: First Prize of $1000, and Second Prize of $500. The judges may withhold prizes if in their opinion no play merits the award.
A staged reading of the prize-winning scripts may be given, followed by critique and discussion.
The contest is open to all playwrights.
• The contest is for new full-length plays for young audiences. No musicals nor
plays targeted at adult audiences.
• Plays submitted to the contest must not have been…
1) previously published
2) submitted to NETC’s Gassner Playwriting Contest
3) previously produced by a professional or Equity company.
• Plays submitted which have had workshop productions or staged readings are
eligible and encouraged.
• Plays submitted to this contest may have been submitted to another playwriting
contest, and may have previously won a prize or an award in another contest.
However, such plays must not have been published or professionally produced and
must not be under option for publication or professional production.
• A handling fee of $10 must accompany the entry, except that no fee will be
charged to current members of NETC.
• Playwrights may submit only one play to the contest in one year.
• ONE legibly typed and firmly bound copy of the play must be submitted,
1) name and address (inc. email) of the playwright on a separate page and the
title of the play on the outside cover
2) a brief plot synopsis, cast list and brief description of each character
3) a statement that the play has not previously been published or professionally
produced, and is not and will not be under option for publication or
professional production prior to October 1, 2016.
• Playwrights wishing for a receipt of entry must enclose a self-addressed, stamped
• No scripts will be returned.
• Winners only will be notified by mail.
• Postmark deadline for submission of entries is May 1, 2016 No Exceptions.
• Plays that do not meet the above requirements will not be considered.
Mail manuscript and enclosures to:
The New England Theatre Conference, Inc.
Aurand Harris Playwriting Award
215 Knob Hill Drive
Hamden, CT 06518-2431