The Oliver Joel and Ellen Pell Denny Healthcare Scholarship may provide a scholarship for North Carolina
residents seeking a first-time associate or baccalaureate degree, certificate, or diploma in a healthcare field.
Preference is given to residents of Davidson, Davie, Forsyth, Stokes, Surry, and Yadkin counties. Award amount
may vary, but will not exceed $3,000 yearly.
To receive consideration, applicants must:
• be seeking a two or four-year degree or be enrolled in a program leading to a certificate or diploma
• attend an accredited North Carolina school pursuing healthcare education such as, but not limited to,
registered nursing, licensed practical nursing, nuclear medicine, radiography, and respiratory therapy
• have a high school/college cumulative GPA of at least 2.5 for all healthcare programs
• provide an acceptance letter for the enrolled program
• demonstrate financial need (not restricted to lower incomes)
The online application is available on The Winston-Salem Foundation’s Web site at
www.wsfoundation.org/students. The following items must be submitted to the Foundation:
• online application completed in full
• high school grade transcript through 1st semester of the 12th grade or most recent college grade
• signed copy of student’s federal tax return from previous year
• signed copy of parents’ federal tax return from previous year
• copy of the Student Aid Report (SAR) if applicant has applied for federal aid
• copy of the financial aid award letter
The application and all supplemental materials must be received by the deadline indicated in order
to receive consideration. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
A Student Aid committee of The Winston-Salem Foundation will select recipients. The committee reserves the
right to rescind an award should a recipient’s circumstances change, such as failure to graduate from high school
or failure to enroll at an accredited institution. The Foundation reserves the right to withhold the award in the
event that no applicants are deemed to meet the qualifications.
Once recipient(s) have been selected, checks will be issued jointly to the college and to the recipient, and will be
mailed to the recipient’s home address for the student to deliver to the college’s financial aid office. Separate
checks will be issued for fall and spring semesters. Check processing requires approximately two weeks.
MANAGEMENT OF FUND:
The Oliver Joel and Ellen Pell Denny Healthcare Scholarship is administered by The Winston-Salem
Foundation. As the fund grows, the number and dollar amount of scholarships may be increased. Questions
regarding this scholarship may be directed to The Winston-Salem Foundation’s Student Aid Department at
(336) 714-3445 or StudentAid@wsfoundation.org.