Two (2) valid letters of recommendation must be sent separately to:
CTA, Attn: Janeya Dawson
P.O. Box 921, Burlingame, CA 94011-0921
2016 Eligibility and Letters of Recommendation Guidelines
Eligibility - In order to be eligible, the applicant must be:
Pursuing a degree, credential or certification for a teaching-related career in public education in an accredited institution of higher education
A member of one of the following defined ethnic minority groups:
(African American/Black, American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian/Pacific Islander or Hispanic)
Enrolled for summer or fall of 2016
Applicant must also be:
· An active member of CTA, or
A dependent child of an active, CTA/NEA-Retired, or deceased CTA member (per IRS ruling)
An active member of Student CTA (SCTA)
In order to receive the scholarship, the active SCTA member must reside in California and maintain membership at the time of disbursement.
Letters of Recommendation Guidelines
Submit two (2) valid letters of recommendation from a person familiar with the applicant’s:
· Current professional or student academic record
· Aspirations and educational goals
v Letters of recommendation should be no more than one (1) page each (12 point font).
v Letters of recommendation from family members are invalid.
Letters should include specific examples from the list below that may be of interest to the Martin Luther King, Jr. Scholarship Committee.
· State your association to applicant
· Number of years he/she has known applicant
· Involvement in and sensitivity to human, social and civic issues
· Characteristics such as responsibility, reliability and integrity
· Academic and career potential
· Special and personal achievements
· School/Organization of individual providing letter of recommendation
· Signature of individual providing letter of recommendation
Please note: It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that the application and all supporting documentation are submitted by the deadline. You can contact Janeya Dawson at 650-552-5446 to inquire.
· Scholarship funds must be used for education-related expenses only.
· Priority consideration will be given to those who have not previously received the Martin Luther King, Jr. scholarship.
All applications must be submitted online by 11:59 pm on Friday, February 19, 2016.
Email scan original letters of recommendation to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail directly to:
CTA Human Rights Dept., Attn: Janeya Dawson, P.O. Box 921, Burlingame, CA 94011-0921.