The American University in Cairo was founded in 1919 by Americans devoted to education and service in the Middle East. For its first 27 years, the university was shaped by its founding president, Dr. Charles A. Watson, who wished to create an English-language university based on high standards of conduct and scholarship and to contribute to the intellectual growth, discipline, and character of the future leaders of Egypt and the region.
Initially, AUC was intended to be both a preparatory school and a university. The preparatory school opened in October 1920 with 142 students in two classes that were equivalent to the last two years of an American high school. The first diplomas issued were junior college-level certificates given to 20 students in 1923.
At first an institution only for males, the university enrolled its first female student in 1928, the same year in which the first university class graduated with two BA's and one BSc degrees awarded. Master's degrees were first offered in 1950.
Originally, AUC offered instruction in the arts and sciences, as well as education. In 1921, the School of Oriental Studies was added to the university, followed in 1924 by the Division of Extension. This division was renamed the Division of Public Service, and later the Center for Adult and Continuing Education. AUC's high school division, known as the Lincoln School, was discontinued in 1951.
AUC Avenue, P.O. Box 74 New Cairo 11835, Egypt.
Cairo, Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Advisors of The American University in Cairo
There are not advisors associated to this company